
I plan on using these flatbread wraps for lunch tomorrow, with chicken, local leaf lettuce and tomatoes. Better than rice cake sandwiches? Remains to be seen....(later: delicious!)
They certainly were quick and easy to make. I wasn't too fussy about the shape.
Flatbread Wraps
Tools: Rolling Pin (optional)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 wraps
1 cup GF flour mix
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon xanthum gum (** see Aug.9th post)
1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder/cube (McCormicks is GF)
2/3 cup warm water
nonstick cooking spray
parchment paper
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together first 7 ingredients.
2. In a small measuring cup, dissolve the chicken flavoring in the warm water.
3. With a small rubber spatula, blend the water mixture into the flour mixture until a dough forms (mine was quite soft).
4. Divide the dough into 4 sections (I didn't bother, just using approx. 1/4 of mixture each time I made a new flatbread)
5. Spray an 8" piece of parchment paper, put 1/4 of dough on top; spray another piece of parchment paper, same size, and put on top, spray side down. Roll with rolling pin, to approx. 7". (see #9)
6. Heat an 8" skillet over medium heat and spray lightly with cooking spray.
7. Peel off the top piece of paper from the rolled out dough, flip the flatbread into the skillet, and peel off the other piece of parchment paper. If it sticks, it wasn't sprayed enough. I use the same piece over and over, respraying if required.
8. Cook, turning once, for about 3 minutes total, or until it begins to brown on each side. (If you overcook, they won't be pliable)
9. Repeat with rest of dough. (If you are a lazy cook, like me, simple spray the fry pan when cool, put the 1/4 of the dough directly in the frying pan,top with sprayed parchment paper, and use your hands or a spatula to spread it out into a round, them peel off parchment paper, and you're ready to go. it will take a bit longer to cook, since the frypan wasn't preheated.
Recipe by Connie Sarros of Gluten-Free Cooking for Dummies
How was it? They look delicious!
ReplyDeleteI'm having it today...let you know later. Did you take flour with you?
ReplyDeleteYes, they were really good with chicken salad filling.
ReplyDeleteI have about 2 cups of flour with me. I have no xantham gum though... and no oven. So I really can't use it for anything except the odd gravy now and then :)
ReplyDelete